George Poulakis is a Melbourne-based fine art photographer whose images explore the dichotomy of darkness and light, and the spectrum in between. This grey-area of uncertainty forms the basis of his artistic exploration. His conceptual work is predominantly expressed through self-portraiture, which he employs to investigate his own identity.
Outside of his art practice, George teaches photography, post-production, and filmmaking at Photography Studies College, and the Centre for Adult Education.
• 2021 AIPP Silver Lining Awards: Art & Science category - semi-finalist
• 2019 Australasia's Emerging Photographer of the Year: Art category - top 10
• 2019 Australia's Emerging Photographer of the Year: B/W category - high commendation
• 2018 Australian Photography Awards: student category - honourable mention
• 2017 Australia's Top Emerging Photographer: Art category - commended
• 2016 Australian Institute of Professional Photography. VPPY: portrait category - silver
• 2016 Australian Institute of Professional Photography. Illustrative category - silver
• 2016 Australian Photography Awards: student category - 6th place
• 2021: FLUX, Wolfhound Gallery
• 2018: Shadows Within, Red Earth Gallery
• 2018: Transient Nature, Centre for Adult Education
• 2018: Bodyscapes, Journal Café
• 2018: Untitled Observations, Centre of Italian Studies
• 2021: Rumination (curator), Wolfhound Gallery
• 2019: International Contemporary Art Exhibition, Art
Gallery Le Logge, Assisi, Italy
• 2018: In Light, Centre for Contemporary Photography
• 2018: People: A Window to the Soul, The Gallery at
Melbourne City Library
• 2016: Fresh16, Yarra Sculpture Gallery
• 2016: RAW presents: Verve, Melbourne Pavilion
• 2016: Salon, Centre for Contemporary Photography
• 2021: Rumination, Wolfhound Gallery
• 2021: Persipience, Wolfhound Gallery
• 2019: Arte Studio Ginestrelle, Assisi, Italy.
• 2019: Palazzo Stabile, Castelletto Molina, Italy.
• Bachelor of Photography - Photography Studies College
• Bachelor of Arts - University of Canberra
• Certificate IV in Training and Assessment - Box Hill Institute
• Certificate III in Micro Business Operations - North Melbourne
Institute of TAFE